Sunday, June 21, 2009

The much coveted memorial cup for Maureen Doyle was strongly contested by golfers from both Ballymore and Poulaphuca Golf Societies. This outing was well supported by Maureen’s many friends and is now firmly established as an annual event, in her memory.

The overall, and very popular winner, was Jay Curley. Jay plays off a handicap of 5 and came in with a score of 39 points. Also on 39 points, but losing on the back nine, were Adrian Burke and Shea McGrath. The cup was presented by Maureen’s brother Tim on behalf of the Doyle family. The “Mystery Team Competition” winners were Jay Curley, Adrian Burke, Michael Horan and Roy Clarke, with and impressive cumulative score of 145 points.

It was a most enjoyable days golf, which followed through ‘til late that night. Thanks to all involved in organising this outing; Marky Doyle and family, Michael Horan, Lilly Hickey, Ann Daly and James McCarron. For the food and entertainment, thanks to; Ciaran Langan, Pat Murphy, Ann Daly, John O’Toole and friends!



Next Outing: Tulfarris 16th May

Weekend Away Reminder!:
19th June, - Dundrum House, Tipperary
Ita McCarron is keen to get deposits in!


Punchestown with Matt
One of the first we met on Wednesday was Christy Dennison. It has been a hard year for Christy whose mother and aunt both died recently. Additionally, I gather Adam Jackson’s widow also died lately. Adam was Christy’s uncle.

Another that I met was John Holland. John is a son of Michael and Anne Holland and is a solicitor working in Castlecomer, County Kilkenny. He took the week off work to take in Punchestown. A few years ago, his mother joined him there.

Regular Punchestown visitor, Tony McLoughlin, was there and I was delighted to meet him again. In days gone by, Tony helped the McAuleys of Blessington who had several good horses in their time.

I met race goers, Joe Curran and Pat O’Toole, for the first time in a long while. On the Thursday, I met Joe’s wife Anne. This time last year, Joe and Anne were visiting their Kavanagh family in Perth. Later on, I again met Christy Dennison and this time he took photos of Tony O’Connor (formerly Swordlestown), Tom Nugent and myself.

Box and Bill
Eamonn Deegan and his brother-in-law were in a box at the races. Fr Breen’s friend Bill McCormack was also at the races and I got talking to him briefly. Like myself, Bill is missing his old friend.

Although Ollie Deegan was there everyday, I met him for the first time on Thursday. It was Thursday too when I first met Jim Clarke who was chatting to Tom Magee, formerly of Bishophill and cousin of the late Myles Magee.

Dreams
In my travels I met Larry and Grainne Glancy. Grainne apparently had a dream relating to the late Fr. Breen. Because of Fr Breen’s interest in horses, Grainne checked the papers for likely horses to coincide with her dream and found two. Although outsiders, both won for her at nice prices.

More Meetings
Another I saw included Tom Nugent’s wife Claire who was busily trying to find winners. I also met and was talking to Margaret McDonald and her sister, Anne Tipper – both of whom attended everyday. Belatedly, I met Tom Sheehan who used to work with me at Dublin County Council.
The Conways
As usual, Monsignor Seamus Conway (formerly of Dowdenstown) and his brother Tommy were at the races. I believe Eddie and Mai Whelan were also there but I did not meet them.

The Brother
Thanks to my brother James, I got to Punchestown on Wednesday (April 29) and Thursday (April 30). Beforehand, my brother Billy’s wife Carmel provided us with dinner and we had tea there afterwards.

Winners
On the Wednesday, I backed 2 winners – Dunguib and J’y Vole- but that was not enough for me to break even. Thursday was a lovely day and I had 3 winners - Jessie’s Dream, Garde Champetre and Quel Esprit. Hopefully, I did not put Pat O’Toole off Quel Esprit as I backed it on account of what Pat told me. For my part, I had already backed another horse. With Quel Esprit winning I more or less got back my outlay.

© Matt Purcell (May 2, 2009).

No comments: