Sunday, June 21, 2009

Matt’s Memories
Church Gate Collectors
I got the Vigil Mass in Ballymore Eustace on March 28. Collecting outside the main Church gates were my handball friends Margaret Dowling and Mary Campbell who were collecting for Enable Ireland. This reminded me of my Churchtown neighbour, Brid Franklin, who also collects for Enable Ireland.

The following day Mary Deegan (Chapel Street) took over from Mary Campbell as a collector while Margaret Dowling was again on duty – this time at the Upper Church Gate. In days gone by, Mary kindly loaned me photos of the late Monsignor Browne.

Minister for the Eucharist
Back in 2007, Noel Fox was beside me at the Senior Citizens Party. Due to the ’flu, he did not make the party in 2008. Nowadays, Noel is one of our Ministers for the Eucharist and helps with Church collections.
Anniversaries
One of the first that I met at the Vigil Mass was Jim Boland from Churchtown. Jim was in Ballymore Eustace for the Anniversary Mass of his late father, Maurice Boland, who died in 1998. His brother, Joe, read the Epistles while I saw his mother, brother Danny and other family members also in attendance.

Jason King’s first anniversary occurred on March 27 – I saw Jason’s mother Kathleen in attendance, very tough year for them all. Talking to Mary Horan after the Mass I gather Des who was also prayed for as he died some 20 years ago. Des’s late parents, Michael and Margaret, were also remembered.

Large Attendance
People I noticed at the Mass included Mrs May Griffin, her son Patrick and daughter-in-law. Vincent and Oonagh Kavanagh, Mr and Mrs Paddy Nowlan and Dora O’Brien were also there.
Welcome to our World
Fr Jimmy Kelly I gather is to be with us for the next six months. He is a member of the Servite Order and once upon a time he was a bus driver including driving the 65 Bus. On April 4, he said the Vigil Palm Sunday Mass in Ballymore Eustace.


Quinn’s Field
In my growing up years, Quinn’s Field was the place to be. It featured all the Gaelic Football games and sports – in truth it featured all that was best in Ballymore Eustace. Back then, the Quinn family consisted of Mrs Bridget Quinn, her sons Micheal, Pat and Tom and daughter Bridget. Sadly, Bridget Senior and Junior and Michael are now deceased. According to the late Judy Lawler, Bridget Senior was a living saint!

Ann Daly
Met Ann Daly (nee Murphy) and discovered she was part of the local choir. This was news for me. In times past, Ann was a good badminton player, is a mother of three, a good golfer and plays the accordion!

Maria
Coming out of Mass I got talking to Maria Wolfe. I gather from Maria that Nancy Graham is keeping well. Nancy is in Kiltipper Nursing Home. In times past, I was supposed to visit Nancy but events conspired against that!

Out and About
I called into Rita O’Rourke’s house a couple of times of late. The second time around I met and got talking to her son Kevin. On the way in I also met and got chatting to Anthony Harney.

I dropped into Janet Deegan’s to do some shopping. While there I met Jimmy McLoughlin who mentioned seeing the Leinster Leader photo of my brother Billy and Mick McGrath at the Curragh Races.
Tutsy
I met Kathleen (Tutsy) Holloway (nee Marshall) for the first time in a long time. Previously, I used to see Tutsy regularly. Happily, Tutsy is keeping well. I was shocked to learn that her brother Michael’s eldest daughter died. Michael used to live at Assumpta Terrace but now lives in England and has done so for a long time now.

The 65 Bus Again
If I was getting the 65 Bus heretofore I got it in Templeogue which is a fifty minute walk from where I am in Churchtown. This time around I got a 14 Bus to Rathgar Road and got the 65 Bus there. In earlier times the 65 Bus used to come via Harold’s Cross but now comes via Rathmines. Having got the 65 Bus, the trip to Ballymore Eustace was uneventful apart from the fact that the original bus broke down at Cheeverstown and was replaced. (That’s consistent with the old days so – Rose!).

Ireland’s Grand Slam Team
My friend, Michael Mullally, tells me two of the Irish Rugby “Grand Slam” team Geordan Murphy and Jamie Heaslip both previously played with Newbridge College. I guess I should have known this myself but I did not.

John
Spotting me, John Murphy stopped outside my house to chat. It was great chatting to John who is one of my racing buddies. I gather John does not go racing as much as he did. On April 5, he will be going to a Mass in Hollywood for his late brother Michael,

Galway’s Three-in-a-Row
The first of Galway’s successes occurred in 1964 rather than 1963 as I said in the last Bugle. Dublin won the 1963 All-Ireland title.

Eamonn & Ollie
I understand Eamonn Deegan has recently retired from the Handball Committee and his brother Ollie has taken over his role. Ollie I believe now lives at Bishopsland.

Deaths
Maureen Dorney (nee O'Brien) of Newtown, Cobh and formerly of Garryvorougha, Kilbehenny died on April 8, 2009 R.I.P. Maureen was the mother of my former work colleague, Carmel Rogan. Occasionally, I used to meet Maureen when I visited my sister Margaret in Cobh.

© Matt Purcell (April 26, 2009)

No comments: